The Educational Toll Fund is a program designed to assist students commuting across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (CBBT) for the purpose of furthering their post-secondary education. Research indicates that over 3,000 round trips per year are being made by students to complete course requirements to achieve a higher level of education.
Implemented in July of 2010, this program is a partnership between the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and the Eastern Shore Community College and is administered by Eastern Shore Community College.
The Educational Toll Fund operates on a retroactive basis by reimbursing students a portion of each round trip across the CBBT in order to attend classes or fulfill other course requirements mandated by their specific degree programs. Students utilizing EZPass will be reimbursed $15 per round trip crossing and students paying with cash or scrip in each direction will be reimbursed $23 per round trip. Reimbursements are made in the form of cash or scrip. Receipts and/or EZPass statements are required.
In order to qualify for reimbursement, students must first register for the program:
- Fill out a Student Registration Form
- Be enrolled in a qualified degree or certificate program at an accredited institution located in the Hampton Roads area;
- Provide proof of enrollment (i.e. current class schedule);
- Provide a copy of a current driver’s license or other ID for proof of residency in Accomack or Northampton counties.
These items should be sent to Eve Belote at ESCC either via email (email@example.com) or in person (Room A-40). Or you can mail it to Eve Belote, ESCC, 29300 Lankford Hwy., Melfa, VA 23410. You will be officially registered once all items have been received.
Once you are registered in the program, in order to be reimbursed you must:
- Provide transcript or grade report showing the course(es) were completed successfully (failing grades will not be counted as completed) as well as receipts or an EZPass statement showing the round trips across the CBBT.
- Reimbursement will be $15 (for EZPass customers) or $23 (for cash-paying customers) of each round trip. Reimbursement will be made in the form of cash (for EZPass customers) or scrip/cash combo (for cash-paying customers).
- Reimbursement will occur at the end of a semester or quarter, depending on which calendar system the institution uses, and provided the student has met all of the above criteria in advance of course completion.
- Please note that you can only be reimbursed for trips taken after you have registered. For example, if you register on May 1, you will be reimbursed for trips taken after May 1; you will not be reimbursed for trips taken before May 1.
You can print out this information from the Educational Toll Fund Brochure.
For general questions regarding the educational toll program or to determine eligibility for toll assistance, please contact Eve Belote, ESCC Foundation Executive Director at 757.789.1767 or firstname.lastname@example.org.