The Educational Toll Fund is a program designed to assist students commuting across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (CBBT) for the purpose of furthering their post-secondary education. Research indicates that over 3,000 round trips per year are being made by students to complete course requirements to achieve a higher level of education.
Implemented in July of 2010, this program is a partnership between the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and Eastern Shore Community College and is administered by the Eastern Shore Community College Foundation.
The Educational Toll Fund operates on a retroactive (meaning you can’t be reimbursed for trips made prior to being enrolled in the program) basis by reimbursing students a portion of each round trip across the CBBT in order to attend classes or fulfill other course requirements mandated by their specific degree programs. Students utilizing EZPass will be reimbursed by check so that their net cost per roundtrip crossing is $5. Students paying with cash or scrip in each direction will be reimbursed by CBBT scrip (tickets) so that net cost per roundtrip is $5. Receipts and/or EZPass statements are required.
In order to qualify for reimbursement, students must first register for the program:
- Fill out a Student Registration Form
- Be enrolled in a qualified degree or certificate program at an accredited institution located in the Hampton Roads area
- Provide proof of enrollment (i.e. current class schedule)
These items should be sent to Dena Lyons at ESCC via email (email@example.com) or by USPS to Dena Lyons, ESCC, 29316 Lankford Hwy., Melfa, VA 23410. You will be officially registered once all items have been received.
Once you are registered in the program, in order to be reimbursed you must:
- Provide transcript or grade report showing the course(s) were completed successfully (failing grades will not be counted as completed); and provide receipts or an EZPass statement showing the round trips across the CBBT.
- Reimbursement will be made in the form of check (for EZPass Customers) or scrip (for cash-paying customers).
- Reimbursement will occur at the end of a semester or quarter, depending on which calendar system the institution uses, and provided the student has met all of the above criteria in advance of course completion.
- Please note that you can only be reimbursed for trips taken after you have registered. For example, if you register on May 1, you will be reimbursed for trips taken after May 1; you will not be reimbursed for trips taken before May 1.
- Please note that reimbursements will be processed approximately once per week and mailed to the address on the Student Registration form.
For general questions regarding the educational toll program or to determine eligibility for toll assistance, please contact Dena Lyons at 757.789.1741 or firstname.lastname@example.org.