Skip Navigation

Request Credit for Prior Learning

See the full Advanced Standing and Credit for Prior Learning policy.

Students may seek credit for prior learning through:

  • Course work taken at regionally accredited and other approved colleges and universities;
  • Non-collegiate training and experiences such as military service, participation in business/industry training programs, and earned professional certifications and licensures;
  • Taking and achieving acceptable scores on standardized tests and examinations;
  • Taking and achieving acceptable scores on faculty-prepared examinations.

To be eligible to apply for advanced credit, a student must be admitted to the College, curricular-placed, and currently enrolled. Students will earn advanced credit only when it applies to their curriculum.  To initiate an evaluation, students must complete and submit a Student Request for Evaluation form and any required documentation to the College Registrar at:

Eastern Shore Community College
Attention: Registrar
29316 Lankford Highway
Melfa, VA 23410

There is no limit on the number of credits that may be awarded, but credit awarded for prior learning may not be used to fulfill the residency requirement for graduation. A minimum of 25 percent of the credits required for a degree or certificate must be earned at ESCC.

All credits awarded will be acknowledged and recorded on the student’s permanent record, with the transferring agency or source of the credit identified. No grades, scores, or grade points will be recorded on the student’s permanent record for credits earned through prior learning assessment. Results will be posted to the eligible student’s myESCC account within 30 working days.

Students may appeal decisions regarding the transferability of prior learning. To initiate appeals, students should direct a letter along with supporting documentation to the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs within 15 business days of official notification of the evaluation results.

For additional information regarding credit for education and prior learning, contact the Registrar at, or see the college’s Policy Awarding Credit for Prior Learning.

Back to top