The VPT English test includes 40 multiple choice reading comprehension questions and a written essay which is graded along five domains: organization; focus, development and support; vocabulary; sentence structure; and mechanics. Since the essay is weighted and counts for 60% of your English test score, it is recommended that students:
- Organize their essay by developing an outline or diagram
- Write in a clear and coherent manner using a minimum of 300-500 words with multiple paragraphs
- Stay on topic and avoid repeating the same words and thoughts
- Avoid copying and pasting the essay prompt into your essay as filler
The VPT Math test contains a variety of questions types such as free response, matching, multiple choice, true/false, etc. that measure skills in the following areas:
- Operations – Mastery of operations and basic concepts with whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percentages, algebraic basics and order of operations.
- Equations– Applying sequences of first degree and linear equations, inequalities, systems of linear equations in one and two variables, and quadratic equations.
- Expressions, Functions and Graphing– Demonstrating conceptual understanding principles and relationships of exponents, factoring, parabolas, rational expressions and exponents, radicals and functions.