Distance Learning at ESCC
Eastern Shore Community College seeks to provide distance learning opportunities for its students who are unable to attend classes on the college campus or who prefer the online learning environment. The distance learning opportunities at ESCC meet all quality standards set forth for traditional on-campus programs to carry out the mission of the College.
Distance Learning course formats offered by ESCC
- Anytime Online. Class is delivered online with no on-campus or required Zoom meetings. Students will have firm deadlines for tests and assignments. Students will have live access to their instructor during office hours through Zoom, phone, chat, or email.
- Zoom Online. Class meets online during scheduled days and times using Zoom conferencing software.
- Zoom Recording. Class is delivered through Zoom meetings during scheduled days and times. Students unable to attend may view recorded class sessions. Students will have live access to their instructor during office hours through Zoom, phone, chat, or email.
- Hybrid. Class is delivered through a combination of on-campus instruction on the indicated time and day of the week with other instruction delivered online.
- Coastal Virginia Pact (CVP). In instances where a student wants or needs a course not currently offered by ESCC, students can enroll in CVP online courses offered at ESCC in partnership with Tidewater Community College (TCC). Students register through ESCC’s Registrar’s office. There is a CVP liaison at ESCC to help students navigate through the CVP registration, payment and course navigation process. For more information: email@example.com or 757-789-1720.
- Shared Services Distance Learning Courses (SSDL):SSDL courses are online courses available to ESCC students through a partnership with Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA)’s Extended Learning Institute (ELI). Students register for, pay for, and take the class like any ESCC class. There is a Liaison to help students navigate through some of the different requirements of taking course through SSDL: Alfie Destro – firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-789-7988
Online Readiness Skills
Students who enroll in an online course must have computer skills and access to technology to be successful in the class. If you do not possess the following skills, you may want to take a computer class to increase your computer knowledge before you attempt an online class.
- Understanding basic computer hardware and software with the ability to perform computer operations, such as:
- Using keyboard and mouse
- Managing files and folders: save, name, move, backup, upload/download
- Installing software, such as security and virus protection
- Using software, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, email
- Using the Internet
- Doing online research using web browsers
If you are taking online or hybrid courses at ESCC, you MUST have access to appropriate technology. You will need access to a personal computer. If you do not have a tablet or computer, you can check out a Chromebook tablet from the library for use during the semester. Contact Judith Grier – email@example.com
- Computer or tablet. Smartphones are not recommended because not all course requirements, such as certain tests, can be completed with a smartphone.
- Microphone and webcam
- Speakers or headphones
- High-speed internet connection. ESCC has mobile internet hotspots that can be checked out from the library for use during the semester. Contact Judith Grier – firstname.lastname@example.org
Technology requirements for individual courses may. See the course syllabus or contact the instructor for additional technology requirements.
Individual classes may require additional skills beyond the minimum requirement for most online classes. Instructors will inform students of these necessary skills.
Resources for Distance Learning Students
The ESCC Learning Resource Center (LRC) is also available for online assistance with assignments and research. Visit the LRC for a schedule and additional information; or email email@example.com
Tutor.com – 24/7 online tutoring for all ESCC students!
ESCC offers FREE on-demand, online tutoring through Tutor.com. Stuck on a problem? Want someone to review your paper? This service is easy to use and can be accessed on any device that connects to the Internet. Tutors are available to you 24/7—even at 2:00 a.m.!
How to Access:
- Go to www.es.vccs.edu
- Log into MyESCC
- Click the Canvas Tile
- Click your class shell – Tutor.com—found on left side under the course menu
- Choose to “Submit a Paper”, “Schedule a Tutoring Session”, “Work with a Tutor”, and more!
In-person Peer tutoring in math and English are available to all ESCC students – for free! For more information contact Alfie Destro – firstname.lastname@example.org
Orientation for Students New to Online Classes
Students who have never taken an online class should attend the orientation to online learning offered by the college’s Canvas Administrator. This orientation is offered a few days before classes are scheduled to begin each semester. For more information, contact Malcolm White email@example.com