Registration for the Spring 2020 Semester Has Begun
Eastern Shore Community College is committed to student success. As a student, it is your responsibility to monitor your academic progress and seek advising on a regular basis. Here are some tips to help you prepare.
How to be prepared
- Know your advisor. Your advisor’s name will be listed on your Student Center page in SIS, bottom right hand side. If it’s not, see Student Services for advising.
- Make an appointment early. Advisors’ schedules fill up quickly, especially during peak registration times and at the beginning and end of a semester.
- Know your degree or certificate requirements. This information will be located in SIS and Navigate.
- Print an advising report and bring it with you to your appointment so that you and your advisor can go over which degree requirements you have completed, and which ones you still need to fulfill.
- Log-in to SIS, click on Student Center
- Under the Academics heading, click on My Academics
- On the next page, click on View My Advisement Report
- Choose View Report in PDF and print it out.
- Bring information about transfer requirements, academic program plans and graduation requirements to your advising appointment.
During the advising session
- Be punctual. Make sure you are on time for any meetings. If you cannot make a scheduled appointment, let your advisor know ahead of time either with a phone call or through email.
- Come prepared. Always bring something to take notes with and any appropriate paperwork (i.e. your advisement report). Take notes so you can remember what you and your advisor discussed.
- Ask questions. Let your advisor know if you do not understand an issue or have a concern. Your advisor can help you only if there is honest communication.
- Remain open-minded. Your advisor may suggest possible alternatives to consider. They may lead to new opportunities you never knew existed.
After the advising session
Follow through. Make sure to complete any tasks recommended by your advisor in a timely manner. This includes, but not limited to, registration, paying tuition, taking a career assessment, utilizing other campus services and researching transfer schools.
How to stay informed
- Check your email. Most official college communication will be sent through email so it is important to check your ESCC email account on a regular basis.
- Research college policies and procedures. Many routine questions can be answered by simply looking up the information on our college website.
- Know important academic dates. Be aware of deadlines listed on the academic calendar such as drop dates and graduation application deadlines. Add these dates to your personal calendar.
- Research transfer schools. If you are thinking about transferring to a 4-year institution, make a list of colleges and majors you are interested in. Research the transfer agreements and the requirements.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.