What Is the VPT?
The VPT is an untimed, computerized test that helps your college evaluate your skills and place you into appropriate courses. The VPT offers tests in reading, math, and a writing essay. You will receive your VPT results immediately upon completion of testing, and your score report will include placement messages informing you of which courses you should take and how to register.
Who needs to take the placement test?
- All students enrolling in a program of study (curricular)
- Dual Enrollment & Home-school Students
- All (non-curricular) students planning to take English, math or other courses having English or math pre-requisites
How Are VPT Scores Used?
VPT scores indicate areas in which you are strong and areas in which you may need help. Thus, the VPT can identify problems in major subject areas before they disrupt your educational progress, giving you the opportunity to prepare more effectively for needed courses. You and your institution can use scores from the VPT to prepare a course of study that will be appropriate, relevant, and meaningful for you.
May I use test scores from another college?
ESCC will accept scores for the VPT taken within the past 2 years.
Are other test scores accepted in place of the VPT?
- SAT / Reading and Writing scores of 500 are accepted for English VPT
- SAT / Math score of 520 is accepted for math VPT
- ACT / Reading and Writing score of 21 is accepted for English VPT
- ACT / Math score of 22 is accepted for math VPT
How do I arrange to take the VPT?
The VPT is administered through Eastern Shore Community College. To make an appointment for testing contact Lisa Brasch, Testing Assistant, at 757-789-5926 or email email@example.com or call Violet Nedab, Receptionist, at 757.789.1789 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I bring to testing?
A photo id is required. The following are examples: Driver’s License, Green Card, Learner’s Permit, ESCC Student Identification Card, Military identification card, Passport or U.S. issued VISA, Personal Identification Card from the DMV.