What is the VPT?
The VPT is an untimed, computerized test that helps your college evaluate your skills in English and math.
Who needs to take the placement test?
- All students enrolling in a program of study (curricular)
- Dual Enrollment & Home-school Students
- All (non-curricular) students planning to take English, math or other courses having English or math pre-requisites
Is there a charge for taking the VPT?
The VPT is provided to you free of charge by Eastern Shore Community College.
When will I receive my scores?
You will receive a printout of your VPT results immediately upon completion of testing. Your score report, which will be explained to you by a counselor, will include placement messages informing you of your current readiness for college courses.
How are the VPT scores used?
VPT scores indicate your current skill level in English and math so that you and your advisor may plan a course of study that will be appropriate, relevant, and meaningful for you.
May I use test scores from another college?
ESCC will accept scores for the VPT taken within the past 2 years.
Are other test scores accepted in place of the VPT?
- SAT / Reading and Writing scores of 500 are accepted for English VPT
- SAT / Math score of 520 is accepted for math VPT
- ACT / Reading and Writing scores of 18 are accepted for English VPT
- ACT / Math score of 22 is accepted for math VPT
What should I bring to testing?
A photo id is required. The following are examples: Driver’s License, Green Card, Learner’s Permit, ESCC Student Identification Card, Military Identification card, Passport or U.S. issued VISA, Personal Identification Card from the DMV.
May I use my own calculator?
Students are permitted to use the online calculator provided within the test on all but the first unit of the test. Students are not permitted to bring their own calculator.