Trades/Utility Senior Worker
Trades Technician III Role Code 79003
Eastern Shore Community College is a two-year pubic institution of higher education and the smallest of the 23 community colleges in Virginia. The College serves two rural counties, Accomack and Northampton, on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. If you value People, Diversity and an Inclusive environment, we’d like to hear from you.
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance and Administration, the Trades/Utility Senior Worker is to support the buildings and grounds department by maintaining the college’s physical components in peak operating capacity and to maintain all vehicular and grounds equipment, general building maintenance, maintain and monitor boiler and HVAC system, assist in grounds upkeep, maintain and monitor the water chlorination system, coordinate work of staff in absence of buildings and grounds supervisor, and provide necessary assistance on a 24-hour on-call basis for emergency situations. This is a full-time, 12 month non-exempt position beginning July 25, 2017 with a Monday – Friday work schedule that may include some day & evening hours, weekends and on-call.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Perform manual labor throughout the building as instructed by supervisor or as requested through internal work orders. This may include moving furniture, machinery, equipment and files in a safe manner.
- Perform preventative maintenance and repairs on motor vehicles so that breakdown time is kept to a minimum.
- Maintain and service all grounds equipment in accordance with safety guidelines so as to prevent accident or injury. Breakdown time is kept to a minimum. Assist groundskeeper in maintenance of approximately 113 acres of grounds.
- Maintain electrical and plumbing equipment and fixtures and repair and replace as necessary to insure proper operations.
- Clean and service boiler and HVAC system according to service manual and instructions from supervisor.
- Coordinate work of buildings and grounds staff in the absence of the buildings and grounds supervisor, assigning daily duties for grounds and building maintenance to be performed. Monitor subordinates and assist as needed.
- Evaluates the need for parts and supplies used in the maintenance of the building and the grounds equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Pay band 3 minimum salary of $25,718 with comprehensive Commonwealth benefits package. Salary may be higher depending on qualifications and experience.
• High school diploma/GED or relevant full-time work experience in a Trades related area.
• General mechanical/trade experience and/or education or selected candidate must be willing to complete classes in basic electrical, plumbing, and HVAC within the first year of employment.
• Experience with building and ground maintenance and related equipment
• Valid driver’s license.
• Must be able to stand, bend, reach, sit, walk, climb, squat, and lift up to 50 lbs.
Already possess Trades related certificates and/or certifications.
Completed and signed state application form (available at http://es.vccs.edu/about/employment-opportunities). Position will remain open until filled, but the initial screening of applications will begin on July 6, 2017. Position is subject to a background check. Eastern Shore Community College participates with E-Verify which allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees. Applicants desiring special services or accommodations should contact the Human Resources Manager at least five days prior to the applications initial screening.
Send application to:
Michael Driscoll, HR Manager
Eastern Shore Community College
29300 Lankford Highway, Melfa, VA 23410
Eastern Shore Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, political affiliation, veteran status, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or age in its programs and activities. Inquiries related to the college’s nondiscrimination policy should be directed to Janet Justis, Dean of Learning Resources, 29300 Lankford Hwy., Melfa, VA 23410, 757-789-1723 (V/TDD telephone 757-789-1738).