Part-Time ABE/GED/ESL Instructors
Trainer & Instructor I Role 29111
- Three part-time hourly instructors reporting to the Coordinator of Adult Education programs within the Workforce Development Service of the college
- Instructors for GED or ESL required for several locations on the Shore including the local jails.
- Evenings or daytime classes available
- Estimated hours between 6 and 15 per week
- Pay rate between $15 and $20 per hour depending upon qualifications
- Prepare students to pass the GED test and/or learn to speak, read and write the English language.
- Build relationships with students.
- Administer TABE assessments, GED Official Practice Tests, or Best Plus and/or Best Literacy assessments.
- Participate in staff development to earn Virginia Adult Education and Literacy goal-setting and assessment standards.
- Assist the Transition Specialist in moving students into post-secondary education and the job market.
- Willingness to obtain qualifications and credentials (for which training is provided)
Must have own transportation; willingness to travel reasonable distance from home to classroom and occasional overnight travel/weekends for required training.
Bachelor’s degree and previous teaching/training experience; ability to motivate adult learners; detail oriented; well organized; ability to work as part of a team; experience in understanding regulations, completing data returns; ability to use personal computers; ability to instruct students in use of computers.
Bachelor’s degree in education/teaching certification; previous teaching experience in adult education or ABE/GED/ESL; experience working with people of wide age range and from a variety of backgrounds; strong communication skills with ability to build relationships.
Commonwealth of Virginia Employment Application (available at www.es.vccs.edu > Employment), cover letter and unofficial transcripts are required. Positions are open until filled but initial review of applications will begin on 8/20/14.
Applicants desiring special services or accommodation should contact Diane Wheatley (757-789-1754) at least five days prior to the application deadline. Appointment is subject to a background check.
Send applications to:
Diane Wheatley, Human Resources Officer
Eastern Shore Community College
29300 Lankford Highway
Melfa, VA 23410