College Success Coach
Education Support Specialist III Role Code 29144
Eastern Shore Community College is a two-year public institution of higher education and the smallest of the 23 community colleges in Virginia. The College serves two rural counties, Accomack and Northampton, on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. For more information, see our website at es.vccs.edu. If you value People, Diversity and Participatory-teaching, we’d like to hear from you.
Full time position in support of the Virginia Community College Chancellor’s College Success Coach Initiative intended to increase student persistence and attainment of success measures aligned with Complete 2021 and beyond through the use of college success coaches. This initiative leverages the unique strengths and success strategies of ESCC and promotes opportunities for cross-college information exchange. Begins 8/15/2017, or as soon as agreed upon.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work with target population of college students who are considered underserved as a result of meeting specific criteria to assist them with retention, persistence, and program completion.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement activities and events with colleagues to support student success.
- Build relationships with college personnel and external partners regarding issues relevant to students in target population to ensure students have access to services and supports necessary for success.
- Recordkeeping, data collection and entry in order to strengthen the success coach program and service delivery.
- Scheduling, logistics, local travel for meetings, occasional statewide travel for professional development, training or other types of peer group meetings.
Minimum salary of $33,598 with comprehensive state benefits package. This position is Grant Funded and continuance is based on sufficient funding.
Degree in related field such as counseling, human resources, social services, or adult education. Work experience in counseling or academic coaching. Strong communications skills. Ability to develop individualized academic plans. Academic and career counseling skills. Knowledge of specific needs of underserved populations. Ability to work with at-risk students and those with disabilities and special needs. Ability to work with faculty and staff. Knowledge of financial literacy, financial aid, and scholarships. Effective problem solving skills. Proficient with Microsoft Office and social media. Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
Completed and signed State application form (available at http://es.vccs.edu/about/employment-opportunities); cover letter explaining the match between a candidate’s background and requirements for position; resume; and unofficial copy of college transcripts (official transcripts will be required upon hire). Position will remain open until filled, but the initial screening of applications will begin on 7/24/17. Position is subject to a background check and employment verification through E-Verify. Applicants desiring special services or accommodations should contact the Human Resources Manager at least five days prior to the initial screening.
Send application to:
Michael Driscoll, HR Manager
Eastern Shore Community College
29300 Lankford Highway, Melfa, VA 23410
Eastern Shore Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. Inquiries related to the college’s nondiscrimination policy should be directed to Michael Driscoll, Human Resources Manager, 29300 Lankford Hwy., Melfa, VA 23410, 757-789-1754 (V/TDD Telephone 757-789-1738).